44th ORDINARY SESSION OF THE COUNCIL OF MINISTERS OF APPO (2nd NOVEMBER 2023, COTONOU, REPUBLIC OF BENIN)
The Council of Ministers of the African Petroleum Producers’ Organization (APPO) has reaffirmed the resolve of its Member Countries to commit to the success of the Africa Energy Bank in its quest for funding for the development of African Regional Energy Infrastructure in the various regions of the continent for energy security and sustainable development.
The Session, which was presided over by Mr. Samou SEIDOU ADAMBI, Minister of Energy, Water and Mines of the Republic of Benin and President of APPO had in attendance Ministers and Heads of delegation from 16 Member Countries of the Organization as well as the Secretary General of APPO and Managing Director of the Africa Energy Investment Corporation, AEICorp.
The Ministerial Council has among others:
- Noted the submission of the three Establishment Documents- Establishment Agreement, Charter and Host Country Agreement negotiated with Afreximbank and requested the Secretary General to submit on or before 30th November 2023, the documents, namely, the Feasibility Study, the Business Plan, Timeline for the take-off of the Bank for consideration by respective governments
- Fixed deadline for the selection of host country of the Bank by 31st March 2024,
- Decided to host an Extraordinary Session of the Council of Ministers before 31st March 2024 for the choice of the host country of the Bank,
- Approved the Reports of the External Audit of the financial account of the Secretariat,
- Confirmed the appointment of three (3) new Executive Board Members,
- Adopted the 2024 Work Programme and the triennial (2024-2025-2026) budget of the Secretariat,
- Elected the Administrator Director General of SNH, Plenipotentiary of Cameroon to the APPO Ministerial Council, HE Adolphe MOUDIKI and the Minister of Hydrocarbon of the Republic of Congo, HE Bruno Jean Richard ITOUA as APPO President and Alternate President for the year 2024 respectively,
- Appointed of Mr. Stev Simplice Onanga of the Republic of Congo and Mr. Dominique WETSHONDO OSOMBA of the Democratic Republic of Congo as Chairman and Alternate Chairman of the APPO Executive Board for the year 2024 respectively.
The Council welcomed the progress made on the process of establishment of the Africa Energy Bank together with the Afreximbank and called on Member Countries to give the Bank full support by paying their capital share and ratifying the Establishment Agreement.
The Council expressed its appreciation to H.E. Patrice Guillaume Athanase Talon, President of the Republic of Benin and the good people of Benin for the support that APPO has been receiving from Benin since its founding and for the excellent arrangements made for the 2023 Statutory Meetings.
The next Ordinary Session of the Ministerial Council will be held in Cameroon during the last quarter of 2024.
Cotonou, 2nd November 2023
The APPO President
HE Samou SEIDOU ADAMBI